Some 1040 ships carried convicts from England and Ireland and other places to Australia. Some were hardened criminals, others were machine breakers, pirates, patriots, deserters, recidivists, prisoners of war, trade unionists, slaves, swing rebels, exiles or just land rights activists. Not much has changed, has it !
It is thought that about 165,000 departed from the ports of embarkation, and 3,000 died en route.
This webpage records the names of the ships and the numbers of passengers, port of departure, the place of disembarkation and the date of arrival. Future pages will add futher data about the crew of each ship and the names of the convicts on each.
Next to some ship names, a number indicates the sequence of voyages for the same vessel. Where two ships carried the same name, roman numerals indicate which is which. A capital letter indicates that the same ship did several “drops” on the same voyage. The number of convicts records those who arrived alive. Be aware that some convicts swapped ships during the voyage and may have been recorded twice.
- “PRO” in the reference column indicates that the source data can be found in the Public Record Office in the UK.
- An “X” in the reference column indicates that the source data can be found in the State Archives Office of NSW, located in Sydney …. see the blue bar on the left here for its website..
- A “T” in the reference column indicates that the source data can be found in the Mitchell Library, State Library of New South Wales.
- A “4” in the reference column indicates that the source data can be found in the State Archives Office of NSW in Sydney (see above).
- “Add” in the reference column indicates that the source data can be found in the Dixon Library, part of the State Library of New South Wales.
To go to the List of Convict Transportation Ships Click Here
This is a big wegpage … well, there are 1038 convict transport ships … so please be patient for a few seconds while it downloads … subscribers to Southern Cross Genealogy will have no problems, but those of you who connect through slower ISPs may have to wait a few seconds here.
This information is © Copyright 1998 Southern Cross Connect Pty Limited, and may not be reproduced in any form, downloaded, copied or manipulated without express authorisation in writing.
All enquiries to Southern Cross Genealogy on 1800 882 884